Classicalfencing.com Forums

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-17 10:17:48

FozzyBond

Fighting

I noticed after reading Master Crown's article, "If I had a hammer" and by reading the contents of the forum, especially the most recent posts, that the discussion is trending more towards the act of physical force rather that the intellectual or spiritual pursuit of the "ferro veritas" as it were.  I'm not sure this is a real topic for discussion, merely an observation.  And, as I have started and/or contributed to these discussions, it seemed like a good idea to point them out.  Curious...

Give me a fast ship...for I intend to sail her into harm's way. - J.P. Jones

#2 2006-07-17 16:54:46

Adam Adrian Crown
Maître d'Armes
Website

Re: Fighting

That "Veritas" must of necessity include the physical truth, too. Fencing is about physical truth, after all. Wounds are physical, not intellectual or philosophical constructs.

Most commonly, one begins on the outside and works toward the inside, from the superficial to the deeper experiences, not unlike peeling an onion. First explore the body and thereby, the heart, soul and mind.
Without a complete understanding of the physical dimension, without literally "incorporating" the sword and swordsmanship, I don't believe it is very probable to acquire deeper insights.
Some call that "paying your dues."

Of course, a lot of people would like to skip that part and some try. It's the part that requires the most effort, in the form of good, honest sweat, and we do so under-value that, don't we?
perhaps that's why I've met so many gentlemen, self-described "fencers" who were marvels at name-dropping (reminescent of that scene in The Princess Bride: My Capo Ferro counters your Agrippa...) but who when called upon could not so much as stand on guard with any respectable degree of correctness, or execute the simplest attack or defense in the mirror without risking grave injury to themselves.

By all means, sip a brandy by the fireplace and discourse on fine points of philosophy deep into a winter's eve, if you wish.
Just be sure you're in the gym on time the next morning.
:)

AAC

Board footer