Classicalfencing.com Forums

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-10 13:59:32

Matthew Vercant

Fencing Texts/Instructors

First of all, greetings to everyone on the forum. I have a two-part question for anyone who cares to answer it.

I'm going to be moving to Mankato Minnesota for (most likely) the next three years. During that time I intend to continue fencing, but as far as I know I will be without a master, or even an instructor.

The first part of my question is, does anyone know of a good master or instructor either in Minnesota or close by? I'm not holding my breath on this one, but I thought I would ask just in case.

Second, and more importantly, if no one does know of such an individual could you recomend some solid fencing instruction texts that would help me better understand the basics of the French or Italian school (preferably French, since that’s what I have some basic training in)?

I've already read 'The Art and Science of Fencing' and 'The Inner Game of Fencing,' both by Maitre Evangelista, Maitre Crown's 'Classical Fencing: The Martial Art of Incurable Romantics;' Leon Bertrand's 'Fencer's Companion,' and Baron du Bazancourt's 'Secrets of the Sword,' as well as a couple history and strategy texts that related both to fencing and general combat strategy.

Are there others any of you would recomend to me or anyone like me who will be training on their own, or at least without another experienced fencer?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Best,
Matthew

#2 2006-07-10 16:27:01

Adam Adrian Crown
Maître d'Armes
Website

Re: Fencing Texts/Instructors

Hi Matthew,

I would recommend Roger Crosnier's books, Modern Fencing by Deladrier, and Sword and Mask by Alpar. Michel Alaux put out something, too, but the title escapes me.
In any case, those are some of the best of the best.

AAC

#3 2006-07-10 17:44:22

Matthew Vercant

Re: Fencing Texts/Instructors

Adam Adrian Crown wrote:

Michel Alaux put out something, too, but the title escapes me.

AAC

Thank you for the fast reply. Would that title be 'Modern fencing: Foil, epee, sabre from initiation to competition,' publication date 1975?

Last edited by Matthew Vercant (2006-07-10 17:45:15)

Board footer