Classicalfencing.com Forums

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-18 16:35:35

Linda Wyatt
Prevost d'Armes
Website

A quotation to share

As some of you may know, my family and I escaped a house fire a couple of weeks ago and are now living in a hotel.  Hot tub, sauna, pool and a breakfast buffet- it's not all bad. :-)

We've been salvaging what we can from our house.

Yesterday, I came across a piece of paper that had previously been taped to the inside of my front door so that I could read it frequently.  Fortunately, I had removed it from the door- I can't recall why- and brought it down to my desk.  The place where it had been on the door was toasted.

It is an excerpt from an e-mail written to me by my Fencing Master, Maître Crown, a few years ago.
I thought perhaps some of you might be interested.

Linda

Fencing is the ultimate fighting art.  It offers a clarity like no other, a completeness unsurpassed.  A scientific reliability that suggests that there are inescapable laws at work to hold the fabric of creation together.  It demands every shred of muscle and nerve, a balance of sensitivity and strength, decisiveness and flexibility.  It will teach you things about conflict most people never learn, teach you things about human beings that most people never understand- and teach you things about yourself that most people would rather not know.

Assuming, that is, that you learn it from a real master.

#2 2006-09-27 11:54:04

Matthew Vercant

Re: A quotation to share

Linda,

I'm sorry to hear about the fire. I hope you and your family are all right and on the road to recovery. Though, I should say that your hotel sounds much nicer than my apartment :)

Thank you for sharing that quote. It sums up exactly what makes fencing such a fascinating and essential art to me, and reminds me why I want to be involved in it however I can (even if I still haven't found any fencers in MN).

Best,
Matthew

#3 2006-09-27 14:05:55

wleckie
Website

Linda--

I had no idea; can't offer much more from Germany than a wish-you-well and an expression, too, of dismay,  plus a hope that no one was injured and everyone is okay, all things considered.

Bill

Klassisches Fechten Soest

#4 2006-09-28 06:29:07

wleckie
Website

Uh..equipment?  people are way, way more important, but it dawned.  I'm slow. Used stuff is iffy, can we help other ways, or is everything okay?

Bill

Klassisches Fechten Soest

#5 2006-10-02 08:42:22

Linda Wyatt
Prevost d'Armes
Website

Equipment is mostly fine or cleanable.

I found some of my lovely old sabres on the floor in a mixture of ceiling tile, crushed wallboard, water, ashes, and who-knows-what-else.  I wasn't supposed to take anything out of the house until the insurance people had come to take pictures, but there was no way I was going to leave those there!!

Most of the equipment I use it at the salle, anyway, so it wasn't in danger.

Thanks for asking.

Linda

Board footer