You are not logged in.
I am sad to need to inform those of you who don't already know about Binji and Alok's recent house fire, but I'm sure you'd want to know.
On Sunday, March 4th, their house burned. They, their family, some friends who were visiting, and their dog were all able to escape the house, thank goodness! Unfortunately, the house was a total loss, meaning they lost everything.
I believe they are currently staying with family in the area and are being assisted by the Red Cross. As soon as I have any further information on what their immediate or long term needs are, I'll let everyone know.
In the meantime, it would be appropriate to make donations to the Red Cross, or to any local disaster organization. 10 area fire companies were involved in battling the blaze, including Varna, where they lived, assisted by Brooktondale, Cayuga Heights, Danby, Dryden, Etna, Freeville, McLean, Slaterville Springs, and Speedsville.
If you have any specific items you'd like to offer, hold onto them for now and let me know what they are.
Also, all of you PLEASE test your smoke alarms. Don't just press the little button; that only tests the batteries. Use a candle or match to see if the alarm reacts to smoke. If your alarms are older than 5 years, replace them. The efficiency of the detector decreases by at least 30% in 5 years.
If you don't have alarms, don't know where to get any, don't know how or where to install them, or have any other problem with having sufficient smoke alarm protection, let us know. We can provide information, or, if need be, come to your house and install detectors for you.
Or if we (Danby) aren't your local fire company, you can always call yours. :-)
I don't want to see this happen to any more of our people, or to anyone else, for that matter!
Some additional information- there was a front page article in the Ithaca Journal today.
House a loss, but young hero saves the day
http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps/pb … /703090332
I don't know how long that link will stay active.