Classicalfencing.com Forums

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-21 00:14:16

schlager7
Website

Vintage Videos

I don't know what if any of this may be of interest here, but...

Today I posted 5 video clips of different lengths to my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/schlager7

1.) 1926 US/UK Military Fencing Exhibition:
"Raw, unedited silent newsreel footage of a military fencing exhibition between US and UK fencers. Lt. Harold Van Buskirk fencing Maj. G. V. Dyer of British team. Closeup of Van Buskirk demonstrating sabre guards. Dyer congratulates Americans. Close up of Anthony Lyon."

2.) 1930 Nedo Nadi Visits NYAC:
"Raw, unedited footage of a visit by Nedo Nadi to New York Athletic Club on 31 January 1930. Cameras in this era were static so each shot lingers on one thing, then you see extensive shots of another aspect of the same event. Why the most accomplished fencer of that era was matched with a clumsy hippopotamus is beyond me, however."

3.)1934 Aldo NAdi at Salle LaCaze:
"5 VERY short scenes from 25 April 1934 at Sall LaCaze, Paris: young men salute and come en garde with foil-and-dagger; class drills with pairs; Aldo Nadi instructing a fencer in foil (rapier) & dagger; more of the paired drills; final rapier/dagger drill with Nadi."

4.) 1938 Epee Duel France:
"A newsreel clip of a duel with duelling epees in France, 1938. Looks like they tried pretty hard to keep the cameras behind a wall or up a tree until it was over."

5.) 1958 Epee Duel France:
"Newsreel footage of the famous epee duel between Serge Lifar and Marquis de Cuevas, with all the usual inane blather by the announcer that you would expect of the era."

Sabre is theatre.
Foil is art.
Epee is truth.
--attributed to Al Peters

#2 2009-03-07 20:48:54

schlager7
Website

Re: Vintage Videos

I have added the 1967 Deffere-Ribiere Duel to my YouTube site, "D'Artagnan's Retreat"...

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=schlager7

Last edited by schlager7 (2009-03-07 20:50:06)

Sabre is theatre.
Foil is art.
Epee is truth.

#3 2009-03-17 20:40:18

schlager7
Website

Last edited by schlager7 (2009-05-23 11:08:22)

Sabre is theatre.
Foil is art.
Epee is truth.

#4 2009-12-09 09:33:29

schlager7
Website

I would add here that I have recently added a number of clips of other duels in France, all roughly in the time period of 1911-1914. Once I get through posting those I have some interesting 1920s/1930s clips of French fencers of the era. There is one of Lucien Gaudin and his wife taking lessons from their coach, a nice one of Gaudin and Roger Ducret basically demonstrating the proper en garde and lunge (Gaudin using a French grip and Ducret an Italian grip), the final one will be of Gaudin's funeral in the 1930s, which includes 30+ seconds of the 1922 foil bout between Gaudin and Aldo Nadi.

Sabre is theatre.
Foil is art.
Epee is truth.

#5 2010-01-27 14:44:47

csdobbs

Thank you very much for finding & posting these videos, schlager7.  What a treat! 

After so many fascinating thoughts and words shared about Maestro Nadi, it's fascinating to actually see him fence.  I'm just a bit surprised that there hasn't been more discussion about it, but then again, everyone seems to have their hands full this time of year. 

Visiting your youtube page ( http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=schlager7 ) I notice you've been busy adding more.  Fantastic!

Please do keep these coming, and let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Board footer