Classicalfencing.com Forums

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-08 06:16:50

Adam Adrian Crown
Maître d'Armes
Website

Prevost Exam

From our discussions, I thought it might be of interest to post my current Prevost Exam questions. The exam must be typed double-spaced and include appropriate citations and bibliography.  I gave it out in January, due May 1st.  Comments welcome.

AAC

1.Explain in detail the importance of “feedback” or reinforcement in the lesson. Compare and contrast positive reinforcement and negative reinforcement. Explain when and how to use verbal and non-verbal reinforcement.

2.Explain in detail the structure and function(s) of the individual lesson including any component variables, how to vary them, and the effect(s) if any, of doing so.

3.Explain in detail the importance of motivation in performance and compare/contrast intrinsic v.s. extrinsic motivation. How does one “motivate” a student?

4.Cite, compare and contrast parallels between and the relevance to training, if any, of Kolberg’s stages of moral reasoning. Maslov’s hierarchy of needs, Plato’s prisoner in the cave, Covey’s 7 Habits, the Tao of Lao-tse; Machievelli’s The Prince, and Dorrance’ True Horsemanship Through Feel. Include any additional citations from other sources as corroboration.

5.Outline in detail an individual foil lesson for an intermediate student (S3).
6.Outline in detail an individual foil lesson for a beginning student (S1)
7.Outline in detail an individual foil lesson for an advanced student (FS2)
8.Compare and contrast the above.
9.Outline in detail a “basic” epee lesson. Compare and contrast with the same lesson with the foil.
10.Outline in detail a “basic” saber lesson. Compare and contrast with foil.
11.Outline in detail a “basic” longsword lesson. Compare and contrast with other weapons.
12.Outline in detail a “basic” rapier AND dagger lesson. Compare and contrast with other weapons.
13.Outline in detail a “basic” smallsword lesson. Compare and contrast with foil/epee.

#2 2006-05-08 10:24:48

RHogg

Re: Prevost Exam

Just to help understand the context of the exam, what are your "minimum" expectations for a provost in terms of knowledge/ability?

Cheers,
Russell

==)---------------------

#3 2006-05-08 10:52:13

Adam Adrian Crown
Maître d'Armes
Website

Re: Prevost Exam

I don't really think in terms of  "minimums;" I expect excellence and I don't accept anything less.  I've had a dozen or so "apprentices."  3-4 made it to "instructor" level. Only one has made it to prevost.

A prevost must be able to conduct a class impeccably -- it must be safe, instructive and interesting -- and be able to give individual lessons in all weapons to students of all levels. A prevost must be at least a competent fencer in all weapons that they teach, and be an excellent teacher overall, fluent in the best pedagogical practices. A prevost must know not only what to do and how to do it, but why it must be done that way.

AAC

Board footer